Finally, we are reaching the end of our journey.
This blog post will discuss our product, as it is at the moment, and how we managed to build it. At this stage, we have implemented all the specified functions of the platform:
- Users can create different account types: Students, Supervisors and Directors of Studies.
- Students can upload dissertation projects
- Students can propose a number of supervisors for their projects
- Students can set/ edit/ delete milestones for their projects
- Supervisors can chose projects to supervise and add to their cohorts
- Directors of Studies can add supervisors to their groups
- Directors of Studies can have permissions for everything on the platform
- Any User type can comment & reply on Student projects
- Matching system which assigns students with supervisors if they both picked each other
We built the whole platform using Agile methodologies and rapid iterations. We(Claudiu and Silviu) spoke with Robert about the specs nearly everyday in order to implement different features needed. We also consulted with Pete Walker, when we were in difficulty or simply needed that extra advice on how to implement something.
As specified in earlier posts, we are using Ruby on Rail 4.0 and Heroku for web hosting.
Finally, I can say we learned many things about web development in general and also about delivering to clients and working under pressure. We are grateful to have such a wonderful team and support and we would like to thank JISC for everything they have done to make this happen!
Robert, Silviu and Claudiu